Friday, April 26, 2013

Consider Bardwell's Rupert

Good day everyone,

As promised, here is a post on Rupert from Consider Bardwell. Thank you Poul for sharing this cheese with me! :)


Cheese: Rupert
Producer: Consider Bardwell
Region: Champlain Valley, Vermont
Milk: Raw cow's milk
Rennet: Microbial (vegetarian)


My team and I got to try this amazing cheese this morning. It gets its name from Rupert, Vermont - one of the oldest towns in the state - because it is the cheese that is aged the longest at Consider Bardwell Farm. It is based on the Alpine style cheeses like Gruyere and Comte but is unique in that the milk used is Jersey milk. The Rupert is very creamy with a nice smooth paste with tyrosine crystals sprinkled throughout. I got a lot of sweet nuttiness as well as some fruity floral notes. I could see myself using this cheese as a table cheese or as a melting cheese (try in your next fondue!).

While I was tasting this cheese I happened to have my green tea close by. After trying the cheese, I reached for my tea out of habit, took a sip, and was blown away! The floral notes in the tea really accentuated the floral notes in the cheese bringing it to a whole other level. I love it when I find accidental delicious pairings, especially with things I wouldn't necessarily think go together.


Unfortuantely this is not a cheese that is accessible to me at the moment, but if you have a chance to visit the East Coast, make sure you stop by a local farmer's market and pick up this cheese or any of the other delicious offerings that Consider Bardwell has to offer. You won't be disappointed.

Until next time, eat, drink and be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment